Monday, April 2, 2012

Cheese #6: Cotswald/Cotswold from England

Lets get down to business quick on this week's cheese. Cotswald or Cotswold cheese from England is really, really good. I bought a small wedge of Cotswald at our local market thinking it looked like a hearty yellow cheese that I would probably enjoy and boy was I right. I am unsure of the exact spelling of the cheese as it said "Cotswald" on the package that I bought but most other research has lead me to the spelling "Cotswold". Either way, this is a fantastic cheese. If you have never had the pleasure of tasting Cotswold, let me take a minute to help you imagine what it tastes like. Close your eyes and think for a second about what the toppings on a baked potato should taste like when the sour cream, cheddar, and chives are mixed perfectly. If you are reading this that means you have opened your eyes again, which is good because I want you to read the rest of my thoughts. When I eat a baked potato, I do not eat it for the potato, I eat it for the toppings and to save money the next time I think baked potatoes sound like a nice dinner option I am not going to buy all of those things, I am simply going to buy a wedge of Cotswold (an English cheese) and melt it generously over the top of my potato.


Cotswald was rich and creamy and it had perfect cut-ablity for cheese snacking which I am always looking for. It also had a wonderful kick with the chives added right into the cheese. If I were looking for a cheddar with some class to serve with any zesty meal, I would choose Cotswold (an English cheese) to help complete the meal. Cotswald gets a nine on a scale from one to ten with Colby Jack as an eleven and there is not much that is better than that.

We had a friend visiting this weekend who has been one of my most avid Pondering Cheese followers and she bought a nice herb and garlic goat cheese that also had chives. I would say that this goat cheese was the cousin of Cotswald with how delicious it was even though it lacked the amazing cheddar taste and did not come from cows milk, as my new beloved Cotswold.

Peace, Love, and Cheese.

1 comment:

  1. I agree with your assessment, amateur cheese expert! While I enjoyed the garlic and herb goat cheese, I really really loved the cheddary kick from the Cotswald cheese. Yum yum yum.

    ReplyDelete